Welcome to the Library of Virginia Plinkit Site
What is Plinkit?
Plinkit stands for Public Library Interface Kit.
Plinkit, a webpage authoring software, allows even the smallest library to have an attractive, easy-to-update web page. There is no need to know HTML or Front Page. If you can copy and paste from a word processing program, you can use Plinkit.
Plinkit, using an open source software called Plone, was developed in Oregon by the Multnomah County Library with an LSTA Grant. The software with its webpage template was given to the Oregon State Library. Oregon invited states to join them in the development of this software for use by small, primarily public libraries. The Colorado State Library, Texas State Library, (the Indiana Cooperative Library Services Authority), NEBASE (the Nebraska consortium) and PALINET (the Mid-Atlantic Region library cooperative) joined Oregon. The Library of Virginia joined the consortium in 2008.
Who Uses Plinkit?
Plinkit is successfully being used by small to medium sized libraries. None of them can devote full time to development of a webpage.
Why Use Plinkit?
- Create an intuitive, dynamic website with little effort and no technical expertise.
- The template is ready to go, just add your content. Some of the content can be automatically updated.
- The Library of Virginia hosts the software and provides training and support for free.
- Your patrons have 24/7 access to the library and its resources.
There is a an easily updated calendar for library events and programs.
- News items can be entered and scheduled to go live at a later date and at the same time be scheduled for removal.
- The online catalog can be linked to your Plinkit webpage.
- Use the Staff section as an intranet for internal calendar and discussions
It is easy, or as one librarian has said, “Stupid Proof!”
- And best of all, it's free!
Features of Plinkit
- Prominent homepage with display of library name, contact and hours
- Customized library information which could include history, mission, policies, etc.
- Intuitive navigation to online resources and library information
- Quick link to search your online public access catalog (if applicable)
- Library News & Events area
- National and international news feeds
- Calendar of events
- Kids & Teens area
- Online resources such as Find It Virginia databases and pre-selected web material
- Staff Forum area for internal, online discussion
- Staff Calendar for internal use
- Optional Library Director’s page
- Online Photography Exhibits
- Optional Spanish language area
- Optional Community Organization database
- Optional link to book recommendations, reviews and other content
Links to a other state public libraries using Plinkit
How to get Plinkit?
If you are interested or have questions, please contact Rose Schooff by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.